Saturday, January 30, 2010

Somewhere ages and ages hence;

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled..." -Robert Frost

Perhaps one of the most overused, over quoted poem used by high school and college students alike. Be that as it may, Robert Frost was onto something here. What did Mr. Frost know that I don't? How was he sure he took the less traveled road?

As I think about and try to plan my future I want to ensure that I, too, take the road less traveled. I reflect on my life's decisions and wonder whether the choices have gotten me where I am today are a reflection of choosing the road less traveled. Or were the decisions made because of expectations? Or fear? Or thoughtlessness? Or perhaps this is where fate has taken me?

I lean towards the expectations piece, always doing "what was right" or the logical next step. Look at my life, graduated high school with honors (expectation), went to college out of state (one of my stubborn choices), graduated college with honors (expectation), went straight to grad school (fear? expectation?), graduated with honors (expectation), then got a prestigious residency out of state (expectation). I'm not saying any of these were bad decisions, but I often wonder if I make decisions because I feel pressured by what I'm "supposed to do." Maybe I could have been a little more crazy and wild in college, not that I didn't have my share of fun, don't kid yourself, but I spent a lot of time in the library too. Maybe I could have gone to travel Europe with nothing and taken odd jobs while seeing the world? Maybe I could have majored in something less reasonable like theater? Maybe I could have tried out to cheer in college?

Please don't misunderstand me, I am very thankful and proud of my accomplishments. I knew relatively early on that I would need to work for the things I had in life. Nobody was going to hand me anything. I just don't want to feel stuck in my responsibilities. I want to make sure that the next decision I make is made because it's really what I wanted and not because it's what I felt like I should or had to do. Also I need to remember to get a little crazy sometime. I want to jump in a car and take a road trip across the country, I want to go get crazy in Vegas (sometime when I'm not going for work), I want to leave the country, I want to see the world! I want to help people, make a difference, take chances, live with no regrets, laugh too loud, love too much, learn to sew, start my own business, and have dance parties every day. Silly? Yes. Trite? Perhaps. But it's time to seize the day and find joy in every moment!

All of this to say, I want to take the road less traveled because in the end it will make all the difference. It seems Mr. Frost may have had the same concerns as I, "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both, And be one traveler, long I stood."

So too long I stand.

1 comment:

  1. You're the most driven person I know. You'll go far in life--never question your decisions because everything always works out for the best in the end.

    ReplyDelete